Thursday, July 10, 2014

Why I'm serving a mission


   I am serving a mission because I am a believer. I believe in Jesus Christ, I believe in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and I believe that serving a mission is what God would have me do.

   Many of you reading this do not share my beliefs, and I truly respect that. I believe that despite any religious differences, we all have some similar core beliefs. I believe that one of those similar beliefs is that we all can become better.

    I believe that the best way to become better is to develop a true and sincere relationship with Jesus Christ. I know that He suffered and died for us. I know that He lives and loves us. I know that because of all of those incredible things, we can feel truly loved, we can be forgiven of our mistakes, become better and live with God again.

  I am serving a mission because I want to help people develop a relationship with Christ and to come to know the truth for themselves.

   I am serving a mission to show people something so beautiful that has blessed me in every part of my life.

   I am serving a mission because I love Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father and because I want to show my gratitude for all They have given me.

     Whoever you are, I invite you to read the Book of Mormon, and read it as an honest seeker of truth. I invite you to pray and ask your Heavenly Father if what you read is true. If you sincerely want to know the truth and ask God with faith and with the intention to act on His answer, He will answer you. I know that is true because I have done this, and I received an answer.

     The gospel that I know to be true is not just some nice idea--it is real. It's real and it matters--it means everything to me. I am giving 18 months to the Lord because of all He has done for me and also because I want to become more like Him and help others become more like Him. These lyrics from a children's song sum up why I want to be a full-time missionary:

"I'm trying to be like Jesus
I'm following in his ways.
I'm trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice,
But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers,

'Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught.'"

("I'm trying to Be like Jesus" Janice Kapp Perry)



(do yourself a favor, skip to 1:00 and watch in amazement: David Archuleta "I'm Trying to Be like Jesus")

No comments:

Post a Comment